From:
pat Bull <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 1996 16:38:22 -0500
Hi Netters,

I know that I am behind the times (what's new) but I was reading one of my
200 BF articles in my "to read" box that I have gathered over the past couple
of months.  It was from PREVENTION periodical,  vol. 48, #7, p. 38, "Counter
Colic:  Scientists ID fuss-making foods.  (foods consumed by mothers that
exacerbate colic in infants).  I have heard people talk about it, but about
died when I read it.  To quote """"Research indicates that specific foods
consumed by the mother contribute to colic in their breast-fed infants.
 Cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, chocolate, and cow's milk are among the food
that colicky babies find most irritating.  Lead Paragraph-  Over Baby's
screams, the pediatrician promises colic will be gone in a few months.  You
fear the same for your sanity.  Here's new hope:  A recent study confirms
that moms who breast-feed their kids may hasten colic's retreat by altering
their own diets.  Two hundred seventy-two mothers of exclusively breast-fed
infants under 4 months of age kept records of their intake of 15 foods long
considered colic agitators by breast-feeding veterans  The moms also tracked
symptoms in their infants over the same period, unaware that researchers were
looking for a colic connection.  The following foods made the "most wailing"
list:  cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, cow's milk, onion and chocolate
 (Journal of the American Dietetic Association, January 1996). To see if
these foods are contributing to your baby's colic, you need to drop'em like a
hot--um, cabbage head.  "Cut all of them from your diet at the same time,"
suggests study author *Katherine Lust, division of epidemiology, University
of Minnesota School of Public Health, Minneapolis, "and observe your baby's
symptoms."  If the pain, crying and irritability ease up, you can abstain
from those foods for the duration (colic generally lasts no more thatn 3 to 4
months) or pinpoint specific culprit (s) by reintroducing one at a time,
noting any flare-ups."""  etc. etc.  Now that I have got my humor in for the
day.  Some day we all have to put  together a book with all of the wives
tales, myths, drs. responses in it.  By the way,  AAP approves of up to 1 lb
of chocolate is compatable with breastfeeding.  Who would ever eat that much
I do not know, but it is OK for BF mothers to eat some chocolate.  Have a
good weekend everyone.

For to be a women is to have interests and duties raying out in all
directions from the central mother-core, like spokes from the hub of a wheel.
 by Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Pat Bull, RN, IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Connection/Medela
Naperville, IL