Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 09:15:36 -0500
>Help!  Saw a mom this morning who, during pregnancy, went from a 36 C to a 42
>G.  Breasts are dense, feel fibrous and edematous, and totally unwieldy.
>Areola takes up almost half the breast, and they somewhat dry and scaly w/
>skin peeling off on parts of them.  Nipples are non-existant.  They are there
>-- or they used to be -- but it is hard to identify which is nipple and which
>is areola when observing them.  Doing gentle compression around the nipple
>area causes mom discomfort.

I had one case like this.  Mom was terrified of her breasts.  She didn't
want to continue trying to breastfeed because she just wanted her body
back, and thought that if she breastfed she would remain looking/feeling
like this.

What helped get milk flowing was (TA, DA!!) cabbage leaves, changed every
15 minutes (we could smell cabbage cooking), and Rescue Remedy.  When I
first saw her she was 6 days PP and pumping gave not a drop of milk. After
the Rescue Remedy she got 1/2 ounce with the pump.

I've been trying to remember the details of this case and find that I have
forgotten many of the details.  I'm going to send copies of two posts that
I sent in '97.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]