Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:04:35 +0000
Pam writes:

>I am not doubting the outcome of the studies, only the data being  analyzed.
>For me to agree that epdiduals have no affect on breastfeeding I  would have
>to see that defined as: Exclusive breastfeeding with zero  supplementation
>needed for any reason whatsoever and absolute pain free  breastfeeding.

I agree.

>  Then
>compare that to women who have birthed at home with no
>interventions of any kind
>whatsoever.

But that isn't a sound comparison.

There are *massive* differences between home birth with no
interventions, and hospital birth with epidural - the epidural is
only one part of the difference.

The population you are comparing is different, for a start. All the
home birthing mothers have chosen to avoid hospital/medical
intereference, and they are much more likely to be dedicated and
enthusiastic breastfeeders.

They will be far more likely to embrace skin to skin and co-sleeping
- both of which may happen in hospital (though even in supportive
places, with some difficulty and determination) but I suggest are
more likely *not* to.

I could go on - we all know the differences between unmedicated home
birth and hospital birth are likely to be huge.

I honestly have no idea how sure we can be that epidurals affect
breastfeeding because epidurals inevitably come as a package deal
with other interventions and influences - and in places where
epidurals are very common, we don't necessarily see problem
breastfeeding.

Heather Welford Neil

NCT bfc, tutor, UK