From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:16:01 -0500
Hi, all!  I've looked through the archives and the volume of posts on
thrush makes it next to impossible to narrow my search to this particular
question, and I don't ever recall anyone specifically addressing this
issue.  I have a mother who had significant improvement in her thrush
symptoms (pain went from a 10 to a 3) after 3 days of gv for both baby and
herself.  Since her symptoms were not completely gone, I was going to
suggest a second 3-day course of gv (possibly adding Dr. Jack's "all
purpose nipple ointment").  The mother asked me whether she should just
wait another couple of days as she was still noting continuing improvement
even on the second day after stopping gv.  I wasn't sure whether the risks
of worsening symptoms were worth waiting, and wasn't really certain
at what point to re-treat.  I had read one post in which gv was simply
continued for 7 days, and other posts where re-treatment was done, but the
interval between re-treatments was not really specified.  I'm interested
in suggestions about how soon (and how often) re-treatment with gv is
advisable in such a setting.  TIA, Alicia Dermer, MD, IBCLC.