From:
Sue Carson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 09:35:54 EST
to bonnie jones and Beth Morgan:  At our hospital, we use a consult sheet in
tripletcate...one for the lc, one for mom's chart, and one for baby's.....at
the top of sheet is hist. infor such as :DOB, age of mother,  del. type
(c/s,ve,forc,svd) (lacerations, Epis) & time, wt of baby, gest age, apgar
(sugars, temp, mec. int)  etc....
there is space for patient observation, lc assessment, and recommendations.
There is also a box to do a LATCH  assessment.
The bottom of the form is a check list for pumping instructions, and teaching.

But the best feature we have recently added..is a box.  This states if the
mother has tried 3 consec. times without successful latch/ or 24 hours since
birth ,  she is to be instructed to work frequently with the baby, pump every
2-3 hours to protect the milk supply, and feed the baby pumped BM, or formula
if BM is unavailable.

This charting system really works well for us, so both peds, docs, and nurses
are aware of what was communicated during a consultation.   Hope this helps.
Sue carson