From:
Helen Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 11:05:53 -0500
I have a mother who has just put her 5-month-old son in daycare full-time.
She was concerned to learn that the center's method of warming breastmilk is
to microwave it for 10 seconds or so. I have searched the archives for
information as to what effect this would have on the nutrients in the milk,
but could not find much recent info. LLLI's Breastfeeding Answer Book cites
the Quan article from Pediatrics ("Effects of microwave radiation on
anti-infective factors in human milk" 1992; 89:667-669), but I don't have
easy access to the journal. Aside from mentioning the "hot spot" factor, the
Breastfeeding Answer BOok summarizes that human milk should not be heated in
a microwave, "as valuable components of the milk will be destroyed if it is
heated over 130 degrees F." If the milk is only heated to room temp
however, would the same loss of nutrients and properties occur?

Any comments would be very much appreciated.

Helen Bartlett, LLL Leader, CT