Date:
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 20:04:37 EDT

Lisa  asks:

<<Do we  ever see slow gain in bottle-fed / formula-fed babies when offered
ample  milk?  Or is it a phenomenon related to  breastfeeding? >>

When I was in nursing school -- which, admittedly was at least 100 years  ago
-- we used to have many formula feeding babies come in with Failure to
Thrive.  Actually, the term originated with formula fed infants....they  came in
with low, slow weight gain, did very well in the hospital, and failed to  thrive
again as soon as they went home.  The issue was not how much they  were being
fed, nor how often, but the relationship between mom and baby.   Often they
were left in their cribs for hours on end -- maybe only the bottle  for
comfort.  It was a psychological issue rather than a lack of food  issue.

Having not worked in peds since nursing school, I don't know if this is
still out there or not.

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC, Wheaton IL
_www.lactationeducationconsultants.com_
(http://www.lactationeducationconsultants.com/)
"I  would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there
isn't,  than live my life as though there isn't, and die to find out there
is." -  Pascal