From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:10:21 -0500
I have been reading these notes. I, for one, believe that scientific study
of human milk is a good thing, and that we cannot and should not put a
prohibition on this type of research.  I agree that there are most likely
alternate sources of milk for researchers. They are not likely to depend on
others for their materials.

I am also of the opinion that one is either part of the problem, or part of
the solution. I think it would be a grave mistake to suggest that we or any
mother or professional boycott human milk banks. We need MORE of these, not
fewer. We need to support milk banking, as a safe source of a top quality
food for all who are in need, be they ill or premature, etc.

There are always other ways to work positively, as alternatives to
boycotting the banks.  Boycotts, like nurse ins, are negative energy events.
They may get a point across, but it may not be the one that we hoped to get
across.

I vote for being part of a solution that actively and positively works for
the promotion of human milk, supports milk banks as a viable option,  and
for scientific research that validates and uncovers the qualities of milk
that are at this point unknown.  It is impossible to stem the knowledge that
is being sought.  We can, however, work so that the knowledge is used to
help mothers and babies across the world.

Encouraging all milk banks to keep going and to sense strength from those in
our profession supporting their good work,..  Rather than complain and
villanize, shall we help them by investing our time, strength, talents, and
energy behind them?

Respectfully,

                            Kathleen B. Bruce RN IBCLC

Kathleen Bruce RN IBCLC
Independent consultant: Breastfeeding Clinic of Vermont, Lactation
Resources of Vermont, Medela, Inc. Listowner Lactnet listserv
Archives: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html