From:
"Julia R. Barrett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2009 20:03:36 -0600
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Dear Friends:
>
>In this week's Newsweek Magazine, Sharon Begley has a fascinating article
>entitled "The Sins of the Fathers, Take 2".
>http://www.newsweek.com/id/180103

I'm on a tight deadline right now, but I wanted to note that the
mechanism is not a change in the genes themselves, but rather a
change in how the genes are expressed. Those changes are often
brought about through, for example, methylation of the DNA bases.
You'll find a lot if you google "epigenetics". The idea has been
around for a while; Bob Weinhold has a nice article at
<http://www.ehponline.org/members/2006/114-3/focus.html>.

Some research has already been done with regard to epigenetics and
reproduction, primarily with regard to diethylstilbestrol and
environmental chemicals. A few years ago, some researchers in
Washington state showed the effects of environmental exposures in one
generation could be carried to at least the fourth generation even
though no further exposure occurred after the first generation (see
<http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/newscience/reproduction/sperm/2005/2005-0602anwayetal.htm>.)

All in all, I don't think this means that Darwin was wrong or the
Lamarck was right. Epigenetics is a finessing of our understanding of
genetics, which now must encompass gene-environment interactions. It
should also be noted that epigenetic changes are not necessarily
harmful; the general thought is that these changes better prepare
organisms for survival. The modern-day problem, however, is that some
of the signals that induce epigenetic changes are not natural ones.

With regard to lactation and early nutrition, those things set the
tone for a child's development and there is very likely an epigenetic
component. I don't have anything in hand though, and the clock is ticking!

regards,
Julia

Julia R. Barrett
Science Writer & Editor in the Life Sciences
Madison, Wisconsin