From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 10:06:43 -0500
Susan Lang, in her 1995 ILCA conference presentation, indicated that
premies lap, term babies sip.

Several of us tried watching a really good term "sipper" to see where her
tongue was, and couldn't tell.  When *I* drink, the position of my tongue
varies with the speed with which I drink.

Maybe our only job is to position the cup well and let the baby do what it
does.  I suggest that parents try cup feeding each other, to get a feel
for how scary (and messy) it is to be cup-fed with your head tipped back,
and how frustrating it is to be cup-fed without having the milk maintained
at your lips.

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL   Ithaca, NY