From:
Ghislaine Reid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 13:23:08 -0500
Recently, a pregnant mother has been told, by her OBGYN and the hospital's
hematologist that she has the JKa antibody and that she should not
breastfeed since her baby would most certainly suffer from a prolonged
jaundice.

I tend to disagree with this recommendation. To ensure that my reflex was
correct, I consulted various colleagues and browsed the Internet to find
further information. On the Web, the information is scarce concerning
breastfeeding and the JKa antibody.

So far, everyone consulted agree that the JKa antibody is not a contra-
indication to breastfeeding.

I was wondering if anyone on this list has experience with such a case and
if so, what are the considerations, if any, for a breastfeeding baby when
a mother is diagnosed with the JKa antibody.

BTW, this mother will give birth around January 23, 2006.

I look forward to hearing from you on this subject and to gain from our
collective experience and wisdom.

Regards,

Ghislaine Reid, IBCLC
Montreal (Quebec) Canada