From:
Jon Ahrendsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Apr 1998 21:43:16 -0500
My two cents on the subject.

It seems the Europeans have a better attitude than we do. (but still not perfect in Katherine D. eyes)  I was in Switzerland in summer of 96 and many women thought nothing of lowering their top to sun bath at the pool side.  When I was in Russia in 1989 the TV had a Russian movie where the actress was topless in the shower, and this was not cable and was before Peristroka (the fall of the Communist Government).

When we vacationed in Hawaii in Jan of this year the tour boat operators told that some of the elderly people in the condos make it a habit to spy on the beaches with their binoculars and call the police when the Europeans sunbathe topless.  They are referred to at the "Condo Commandos"

It seems that in the USA, we are in a vicious circle that is difficult to break.
Women feel ashamed or embarrassed to be topless in public because that is viewed as sexually inappropriate (this includes nursing in public).  Of course if women would be topless at the poolside, it might not seem as provocative, but because it does seem provocative they don't do it, so therefor more people don't see it as a common "normal" behavior etc. etc.  Of course sunbathing topless is of course different than nursing a baby to us LACTNUTS, but to others in our populace they are viewed as equivalent.

Society can change and does but it takes time.  At the turn of the century it was considered scandalous for a woman to bare her ankle.  Who would have thought in 1964 that smoking would not be allowed in restaurants, airplanes, and now even in California in BARS.  It took 30 years for this change to occur, since breasts=sex in many minds, it might take more than 30 years for this attitude to change.  I think that we just have to go to work and do our best and make the changes one step or person at a time.

I sure many of you have heard the story about the man who say a young boy walking along the beach, stopping picking something up and throw it into the ocean.  Coming closer the man asked the boy what he was doing.  "I am picking up these starfish stranded by the low tide and throwing them into the water so they might be more likely to survive the hot sun." said the boy.

The man replied, "But there are miles of beaches and hundreds of miles of coastline!  How can you expect your efforts to make any difference?"

Bending down picking up another starfish, the young boy answered, "I bet I made a difference for this one."

Jon Ahrendsen MD FAAFP
Clarion, Iowa 50525