From:
Nancy Mohrbacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2010 07:59:05 -0500
Allison,
I enjoyed your story of your amazing left breast.  I have a left (and
right) breast story to tell, too.  As some on this list may know, I was
born with a deformity that resulted in a severely indented sternum and a
right breast that didn't develop at all during puberty.  (That side was
flat as the proverbial pancake.)  My parents offered to pay for breast
implant surgery on my right breast so that I'd look more normal, and at
age 21 I took them up on it.  Eight years later at my first LLL meeting
and 5 months pregnant with my first child, I asked about one-sided
breastfeeding and learned that mothers could breastfeed twins, so I
decided I'd be okay.

I exclusively breastfed each of my three sons for six months, and
continued on for years (youngest weaner: 3 yr., 2 mo.).  I breastfed on
both breasts, but often, like you, my sons would end up preferring the
left breast, which was my major producer.  My right breast made a little
milk, but not much.

Fast forward decades later to a much-delayed mammogram, where the
radiologist explained that over the years my breast implant had migrated
to the center of my chest to fill in my sternum (which during this time
had indented much further).  I was astounded to discover that my right
breast--which I had always referred to as "bionic" because I thought it
was not real--had actually grown breast tissue from all that
breastfeeding.  The breast growth during my 12 years of breastfeeding
had actually produced a real right breast!  That was no implant, thank
you very much, that was all me!  :-)  Talk about a "benefit" of
breastfeeding! LOL

Allison, how about we nominate you for the "left breast award" and me
for the "right breast award?"  If we both win, we will have a matched set.

Warmly,
Nancy Mohrbacher, IBCLC, FILCA, LLLL
Chicago suburbs
http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/