From:
Kathy Lloyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:30:26 -0400
I am currently helping a Mom nurse her 3 week old baby. Mom had a rough
start with nursing due to the baby having an elevated Bili. And being
extremely sleepy at the breast. She was gaining very slowly and Although Mom
was nursing first and pumping afterward-she had a low milk supply. After
working with her and helping baby attain a deeper latch and showing Mom how
to keep baby stimulated to effectively empty the breast, her supply is now
adequate. Mom now states her breasts are leaking milk now and this was not
the case a few days ago. So she has finally on the right track and baby is
gaining about 1 oz. per day, Bili is down and looks much better. My question
is, the Mom called me today and said the baby's breasts were swollen. I
assured her this is normal and is due to a transfer of her hormones to the
baby. She then said that the baby's breasts are actually leaking some milk.
Has anyone ever seen or heard of this? If so, is this also due to the
hormone transfer? I would appreciate any feedback.

                          Kathy Lloyd LPN/IBCLC

                           Kingston, Pa.