From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 11:35:46 -0600
I wrote:

>>  Are
>>genetically modified foods dangerous?  Who knows.  At this point, I would
>>say that we have no way of knowing what sorts of harm (if any) or what
>>degree of harm or harm to who might come out of consuming genetically
>>engineered products.

Someone responded:
>But isn't that justification for questions to be asked, for concern
>to be expressed,  before we get to a point where we, or more
>importantly, our babies,  have less choice in the matter?

Oh sure, ask questions, express concern.  But don't go around
fear-mongering and assuming that all genetically modified foods are
dangerous and horrible, or that all the researchers who work on these
issues are greedy bastards out to kill children while they laugh their way
to the bank.  Many, if not most, of these researchers are interested in
reducing world hunger and improving the health of children.  As much as I
support breastfeeding, I also realize that lots of children are going to be
bottle-fed, no matter what we do, and I want them to have the best possible
chance in life.  I also think adding vitamin-A producing genes to white
rice, thereby potentially reducing vitamin A deficiency in the world, is a
noble and worthwhile cause.
-------
Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.                         email:
Anthropology Department                               phone: (409) 845-5256
Texas A&M University                                    fax: (409) 845-4070
College Station, TX  77843-4352
http://www.prairienet.org/laleche/dettwyler.html