From:
Jay Nemrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 00:50:49 GMT
Dear Lactnetters --
    I get the impression (after a few months of listening) that a lot of
you feel WIC is a bad messenger of breastfeeding.  I'd like to take
offense at that, but I like and agree with all of you too much to do
that!  As a WIC nutritionist, I try pretty hard to get the breastfeeding
message out there and support my BF moms.  Just last week, I helped
convince 3 supplimenting moms to drop the bottles entirely.  It hurts a
little to be thought of as an outcast by any of you.
    My state (New Mexico) has worked hard to promote breastfeeding
through WIC and has been increasingly successful.  I do admit that many
WIC clinics can do a MUCH better job, but it seems bad to slap us down
just when a lot of us are coming around to the idea.
    I know WIC has often been portrayed as the government arm of the ABM
industry, but we are willing to come around to your way of thinking!  Be
supportive!

    Marie in WI was talking about difficulties in getting to poor and
minority women with LC.  WIC is the perfect answer.  Your local WIC
clinic would probably welcome the input (and time) of LCs and LLLs to
in helping moms.  With budget crunching going on, it is easy to get WIC
support for reducing expensive formula use!  WIC is a wonderful avenue
to further our common work in counselling breastfeeders, if you are
blocking off that avenue, shame on you! :)
    You might just try treating your local WIC staff like you would the
Local doctor that is a pain in your side:  CONVERT THEM!  Much better a
convert than an enemy!
    I appreciate you all very much!  I am spreading the word about
Lactnet to all the WIC clinics in New Mexico, because I know that our
confidence and enthusiasm about breastfeeding in infectious.  Hang in
there, folks -- you're doing GREAT WORK!!