Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:02:04 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (50 lines)
I took this exam for the first time in 1987.  It was tough back then - slides on a wall, cold room.  Back then - no lactinas or pumpinstyles.  My baby was 2 weeks old, jaundiced, a severe tongue-tie, my nipples were raw, I was still engorged, the cord still hadn't fallen off!  I managed to pump out 1/2 oz with a gentle expressions to leave for my mom when I went into that exam.  I came out and gratefully breastfed at the break 1/2 way.  You do what you have to do. I didn't dream of asking for special considerations, I figured one day, 8 hours, would not make a big difference in my ability to breastfeed - but back then, you breastfed or you didn't.  Not much real research.  It's hard to understand the attitudes in the current culture.  

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karen Gromada
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:05 PM
Subject: Re: infant needs during exam

Exams cost money to develop, administer and analyze. Administration requires a process that makes it extremely difficult to cheat (in current culture where it may be possible to have entire texts downloaded in a fairly small hand-held device).  The cost to take the IBLCE exam quite likely reflects the costs incurred for those processes. Costs are costs -- there is no free lunch and there's no free exam. IBLCE employees do not appear to be raking in the big salaries and bonuses from the exam.

The mother taking an understandably longer break for BF a young infant still must be supervised during that break, which costs money. Perhaps, the only fair way to handle this is to look at the average number of young BF babies brought to the exam per year, calculate the cost to monitor BF breaks for said candidates with babies, divide by usual number of candidates taking the exam, and raise the fee for all candidates to cover the costs? Should we all assume "support" for these candidates?

Must admit that for me the mother using a pumping room after a return to work does not compute with need for supervision during a BF break during a certification exam. An employee of the company is somehow adding to the goods/services a company provides and therefore is contributing to the revenue that company brings in or she won't be there for long... When someone takes an exam, she, possibly her employer, and the public benefits from her demonstrating a certain level of knowledge re: a particular discipline -- the accrediting body seems to be the neutral party in the process.

Karen Gromada
www.karengromada.com/
>
> By that reasoning a mother returning to work and needing to express 
> should be paying for the set up of the pumping room. User pays for a 
> breastfeeding candidate for the IBLCE is inexcusable, they should know better.
> Karleen Gribble
> Australia
>
> > I know what you mean that it seems as though this candidate is being 
> > singled out because of her special need and charge for it.  AND, the 
> > fact that it's about breastfeeding; 'it just don't seem fair'.
> > But if the exam were any other type of high level certification, I'm 
> > sure she would probably see these extra charges..that is, if she was 
> > even allowed to leave the room for more than a bathroom break.
> > Renee'

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2