From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:02:04 -0500
I took this exam for the first time in 1987.  It was tough back then - slides on a wall, cold room.  Back then - no lactinas or pumpinstyles.  My baby was 2 weeks old, jaundiced, a severe tongue-tie, my nipples were raw, I was still engorged, the cord still hadn't fallen off!  I managed to pump out 1/2 oz with a gentle expressions to leave for my mom when I went into that exam.  I came out and gratefully breastfed at the break 1/2 way.  You do what you have to do. I didn't dream of asking for special considerations, I figured one day, 8 hours, would not make a big difference in my ability to breastfeed - but back then, you breastfed or you didn't.  Not much real research.  It's hard to understand the attitudes in the current culture.