From:
Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 12:01:45 -0600
re: non-atttendance of breastfeeding classes.

I would guess this is an example of "if you keep doing the same thing, don't
be surprised when you get the same results"

I would think that in order to increase attendance, you will have to offer
other options, to attract other demographics from what you typically get.
Different times, different locations, advertised in different ways.  And
perhaps most importantly -offered in different styles - how about "coffee"
groups for pregnant moms to ask questions?

I would think that for a large segment of people, going to a "class" has
pretty negative connotations.  That's why you only get the demographics of
people that probably least need the information, and are most able to, and
would educate themselves, anyhow.

Locally, we've been running breastfeeding classes for about 2 years now - a
set of 4 classes.  In principle, I am opposed to them and wish they were
simply included within the prenatal classes offered, which has a much higher
attendance.  Of course, those that attend the breastfeeding classes, are
already quite motivated to breastfeed.

Janice Reynolds