Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2011 17:43:09 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Dear Nikki,
Thank you for posting the link to the article about limiting the age a child can breastfeed in public in Tennessee! I thought you and the other Lactnetters might be interested in my response.

Senator Watson,
I was really disappointed to read your statements regarding placing a time limit on breastfeeding in public! 

“Sen. Bo Watson, R-Hixson, raised concerns about the bill, asking whether a 35-year-old could be considered a child. “I know that sounds crazy, but I’m thinking about how an attorney would use this in a situation in a bar where maybe things got a little crazy or whatever,” Watson said. He added later that “I know I’m way out on the fringe thinking like a 14-year-old, but weird things happen in our society.”   http://timesfreepress.com/news/2011/mar/16/bill-would-allow-women-breastfeed-public/

I am one of the Lactation Nurses at Erlanger Hospital and I also live in your district. As a breastfeeding advocate, I do find your remarks juvenile and as you stated "way out on a fringe".  Unfortunately, for lactation professionals and breastfeeding mothers, your statement is representative of the problem with our society's over sexualization of breasts!  Mammary glands were/are designed to feed and nourish our young. Thank goodness our ancestors didn’t place a *time limit* on how long they were able to feed their babies in public…or we wouldn’t be here today. 

You might be interested in knowing the way I found out about your remarks.  I am a member of an international lactation discussion board for professionals. A key leader in the field of breastfeeding just posed a link to the article…to the entire "Breastfeeding World".  Needless to say, I am completely embarrassed that a representative from my home state of Tennessee would make those remarks.

Just in case you aren't aware, the World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding until at least the age of two years old and beyond. The US Surgeon General, Dr. Regina M Benjamin, just issued a “Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding.”  http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2011pres/01/20110120a.html. One of the beginning statements reads, “Many barriers exist for mothers who want to breastfeed,” Dr. Benjamin said. “They shouldn’t have to go it alone. Whether you’re a clinician, a family member, a friend, or an employer, you can play an important part in helping mothers who want to breastfeed.”  That said, one of the major barriers to breastfeeding…is being able to breastfeed in public without ridicule and/or fear of prosecution for indecent exposure.  

I was pleased and excited to read (in the article), “Despite some senators fretting about “weird things” and “strange people,” legislation to remove the current age limit for breast-feeding in public was approved by committees of the state House and Senate on Wednesday.”  This gives me hope that there are clear thinking decision makers in Nashville like Sen. Mike Faulk who sponsored the Bill.  He said, “It was wrong for government to set an “arbitrary” limit on a matter that should be between a mother and her child.” http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2011/mar/16/bill-opposes-age-limit-breast-feeding/ . I am aware that ultimately, you voted in favor of the bill.

Sincerely,
Marie Ivey, BSN, RN, LCCE, CLC
Chattanooga, Tennessee

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2