From:
"Dr. Tom Hale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 1995 10:58:51 -0600
In reference to the question concerning the Non-steroidal antiinflammatory
agent(NSAID) oxaprozin(Daypro),  this product has an exceeding long maternal
half-life.  We do not know if it is transferred into human milk,  but it
probably is to some degree.  In addition,  I would surmise that the levels
in the infant might tend to build up over a prolonged period of time.

Long half-life NSAIDS tend to reduce the pain and inflammation of arthritis
to a greater degree than the shorter half-life products,  which is why many
of them are preferred by these patients.  However,  in a breastfeeding mom,
long half-life products are NOT preferred,  as they tend to accumulate in
the infant.  Unfortunately we do not have published data on many of these
compounds,  so I would stick to the ones we do know about,  ibuprofen(Advil,
< 0.6% of maternal  dose is transferred to milk) and flurbiprofen(Ansaid,
milk levels= 0.05-0.07 mg/Liter of milk).    Diclofenac has also been
reported to produce low milk levels,  although it is sometimes associated
with maternal hepatic toxicity and is not overly popular.

In addition,  if the mom is only occassionally using these products,  say
for a few days,  or maybe a week,  or intermittently,  ( and not on
continuous sustained therapy(months)),  even the longer half-life products
like Naprosen(Alieve), or oxprozin would probably not  prove overly dangerous.

 The only major consequence that would likely occur in the post-neonatal
period,  would probably be GI upset, fluid accumulation,  and maybe diarrhea
in the infant.

I hope this was not too obscure !!

T.W. Hale, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Texas Tech University School of Medicine