Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 09:18:54 -0400
I am not entirely buying that the prolactin alone decreases the sex drive
enough to completely kill a sex life on it's own.

I think it's also a lot to do with other things mentioned, major life
changes, being a new mom, all the WORK, sleepless nights, etc.

My first child was (is still at 2.5) bottlefed (and that is hard to admit
on lactnet) and I felt like my sex drive went down the drain with my last
drops of milk when he was 4 weeks old.  While I was still lactating I felt
PHENOMENAL even after a lousy epidural/pit birth, enjoyed sex, and while
needed lubricational help I was *there* mentally and emotionally.

After the milk dried up... BOOM.  I felt like a eunuch.  I felt not a tich
of sex being anything more than a nice hug (and not too welcome at that)
until my daughter was conceived some 16 months later.

True to form, my sex drive came back, and continues to be back despite her
several times nursing hourly at 4.5 months.  Indeed, lubricational help is
needed, but mentally and emotionally I am *there*.  Now if only I could put
her down more than 5 minutes ;-)

My experience is not entirely unusual.  I am on a list of women who have
had poor nursing relationships, including some going to total
bottlefeeding, and many commented the weaning coincided directly with sex
drive drop.

-Wendey
Mother of Olivier (5 Feb 97) and Kathryn (11 March 99)
http://www.kjsl.com/~wendey