From:
Mary Jozwiak IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 00:38:31 -0400
On Thu, 5 Oct 2000 23:31:39 -0400, Riddle, Richard Paul
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
snip
>        This morning a mother called because her doctor wants to
temporarily
>wean her infant due to an intestinal virus the baby had 3 weeks ago.  This
>baby is 5 1/2 mnths old and was born at 33 weeks gestation.  Despite many
>obstacles, bfing was successful and, until the virus, the baby had yellow
>seedy stools.  After a couple of days of diarrhea, the mother called in the
>ped, and he advised temporary weaning.  The mother refused.  The doctor
also
>requested vitamin and iron drops  be given to the baby. (The baby was
>previously anemic.) Two weeks after the illness, the baby still had watery
>green stools. (4-5 per day) The doctor had the stool analyzed and told the
>mother she must temporarily wean because her baby was not tolerating her
>milk and that the fat reducer levels in the stool were high.  The mother
fed
>her baby soy formula for 4 days and discontinued because the baby developed
>a rash.  Now, at 3 weeks past the illness, the doctor is very heavy
handedly
>insisting she put the baby on another type of formula.  The doctor will not
>explain his comment about the fat reducer levels.  Has anyone heard this
>line before?  What does it mean?

         Laura,
Often babies will have a TEMPORARY form of benign lactose intolerance
following a bout with an intestinal virus or heavy handed use of
antibiotics. This is never an indication to wean. I have had clients with
this problem (including and infant who had had most of his large intestine
removed due to an other disease) we treated it by applying a few drops of
liquid lactase enzyme product. We had the mother apply a few drops of the
liquid to her nipples immediately before each feed. In most cases the stool
reverted to normal within a few days.

Also, iron sups may cause irritation to the GI tract and could be adding to
the problem.

This mother has the option of consulting an HCP who is more educated and
friendly toward breastfeeding.

Good luck.

Mary Jozwiak IBCLC
Private Practice IL