From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 10:41:33 -0800
I have a mom I'm working with who has a history of insufficient milk
production. Her breasts are "udder" shaped, bowing to the outside. At 24
days pp, baby extracted 12ccs from one breast and 18ccs from the other.  We
had blood drawn for tests, and then started mom on galactogogues. Test
results:

T4, Thyroxine         result: 6.1    reference range: 4.8-12.8 ug/dl
TSH, berum            result: 1.10   reference range: 0.3-5.7 miu/ml
Prolactin (baseline)  result: 59.1   Ruth Lawrence range for days 10-90,
60-110

Prolactin is apparently at the bottom edge of Ruth's range, which concerns
me some. As for thyroid, it seems to be in the normal range, but again with
the appearance of being on the low end. For those knowledgeable, how would
you take all of this information together? I don't have the expertise to
fully interpret this.

After one day on herbal galactogogues, baby's intake almost doubled (by test
weights) to 22ccs each side. Given the prolactin above, this makes sense. I
will be seeing this mom again shortly for a follow-up. Any thoughts or
suggestions for further treatment?

Thanks,
Lisa Marasco IBCLC