From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 16:29:08 -0400
Cheryl Muller posted <<If the baby is feeding well and lactogenesis II
beginning, we should not supplement , but have the baby weighed in 48 hours
and teach parents about diaper output expectations and ways to check for
hydration. What is everyone else's opinion?>>

Cheryl, you sounded concerned in your post about the conf. presentation
citing a 6% wt loss as more "normal" than, say, 10%. This is really so
complex an issue as to be very hard to give an opinion. I think what we
should take home from this is that this is one research study. But it
certainly gives us some new data and something to think about and very
possibly rethink our current position on "normal" infant wt loss and wt gain
patterns. Lots of people cite a 10% wt loss (some say 7-8%) to be the normal
and a regaining of b. wt by 2 wks (some even give 3 wks) to be the normal.
Well maybe there are some babies who lose a good bit of wt due to fluid
loss, and maybe their b.wt was artificailly inflated due to this, maybe they
will not be back to b. wt by 2 wks. maybe. maybe. However all this is
complicated by birth practices (interventions) and hospital practices, lack
of knowledge and skills by hcps and mothers, etc etc. Very complex things
going on. Perhaps Jane's sample dyads, hcps, and hosp routines are much more
bf-friendly than average. Like I said in a previous post, often we have to
individualize the followup of these babies. I agree that it is prudent to
try not to intervene when we really could wait a bit (like not bringing out
a nipple shield if baby doesn't latch in delivery room), but I also agree
that sometimes we intervene too little, too late.
Respectfully,

Laurie Wheeler, RN, MN, IBCLC
Violet Louisiana, s.e. USA