From:
Rick Huntze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:09:08 -0600
Hello, all.  I have more questions to add to the puzzle of p.p.
hypertension.  Certainly fluid retention and meds. add to the equation, but
I have my own story to share:

My third child was born by c-sec at 36wks. due to bleeding from placenta
previa.  On the ride to the hospital in the ambulance, I still remember
thinking that I must not be bleeding too badly because my vitals were
normal.  Throughout an extremely stressful pregnancy and birth, I never had
even a hint of high blood pressure.  It was also normal at my 2 wk. and 6
wk. checkups.  At 4 months p.p., however, I was feeling so bad that I went
to the doc., who was surprised to discover my pressure was 160/100.  I was
shocked, and scared of course, but every test they ran came back normal.  I
had EKGs, echocardiograms, adrenal tumor tests, and and kidney tests in
addition to tons of blood work.  Although I've stabilized somewhat, (my
pressures are pretty normal at home), they are always up at the doc's office
(white coat syndrome?).  I'm still taking 25mg. atenelol  once a day, and of
course still nursing my now 2 1/2 year old.  Most all blood pressure meds
are safe to take while nursing.  Hormone levels could be a factor, I guess,
but this is my third child to bf and I have never had a problem.  Someone
mentioned noting an increase in pp blood pressure issues.  Does anyone else
have a theory?
Doctors, could anything have happened during surgery? (stab in the dark)
Slowly collecting pieces of the puzzle...
Lisa Huntze, IBCLC