Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Elise you are correct in your interpretation of what I (Joan) meant,

<<Or are you (is Joan) saying that the rapid
emptying gives the body's own lactase too little time to act, so that
dumping a little extra in on top of the milk helps?  >>

My understanding of how abx cause this is that they wipe out good bacteria in the gut, along with the offending bacteria.  This causes the diarrhea, by causing rapid gut transit.  Abx don't wipe out lactase do they?  If so, this is new information to me.  Please correct me if someone knows
different.  What the term "transient lactose intolerance"  is describing, it seems to me, is the symptom that is often caused by true lactose intolerance.  It's just the cause of it that isn't accurately represented by the term, since the person still has the same level of lactase they always did,
it just doesn't get time to completely do it's job because of the rapid gut emptying.   Or maybe it does, because the diarrhea is the result of rapid gut emptying, not incomplete digestion of lactose.  Wow, is your head spinning like mine is?  Jan, what do you make of all this?  BTW, I looked it up
and found the reference Elise gives in the Breastfeeding Answer Book.  I also found the term used by Ruth Lawrence on p 472 of her newest edition.  Are we talking about 2 different things here?  A true 'transient lactose intolerance' which is suggested by what I reported from Joan's talk at the ILCA
Conference (where lactase gtts alleviated symptoms and eventually were no longer required), and symptoms which are similar but not caused by the same process, which occur after abx treatment, illness or what-have-you?  Just pondering out loud.
Marsha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~John S. C. Abbot~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2