From:
Helen Vermilya <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:22:39 -0400
Hi to all,

I have been nomail for awhile, so I hope all are well and making
progress with their breastfeeding advocacy.

I have a question.  I researched the archives and the replys on breast
lumps and breastfeeding since 1999.

Woman with a 3 1/2 month old breastfeeding baby has a breast lump about an
inch above the areola. She went to the breast health clinic in my
area.  The MD wants to biopsy the lump and has told the mother to wean
because he cannot perform the biopsy without her weaning.  The biopsy is
scheduled in five weeks when breasts are "dry".  She called me to see how
she would go about weaning.  I stated that I had not heard of the necessity
to wean for a biopsy and that following the biopsy moms can continue to
breastfeed on that breast.  Also if it was necessary to wean on that breast
she could breastfeed on the other breast. She would prefer not to wean.
Question-How can I be an advocate for her?  I am unfortunately not a
tactful person, so I need to know how speak with the physician without putting
him or me on the defensive.  I am nomail so I would appreciate replys to be
mailed to me and the list.  Thanks much.

--- Helen Vermilya

--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.