From:
R M WAHL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2007 04:04:36 +0000
Hi Anne,  I agree with every thing that Nina Berry said and would also like
to ask if the mother had fed on both breasts at each feeding?  That is a
common way of giving a baby low fat milk when the mother has an abundant
supply.  For example, it was common for a mother to be instructed to feed
her baby 10 minutes on each breast.  We know now that a baby will get a full
complement of fat if the baby finishes the first breast before mom offers
the second breast.

I'm sure that the military hospital would be able to perform a crematocrit.
It is the same proceedure as is used for a hematocrit.  I was part of the
process when our lab was certified to do creamatocrits.  The difficult part
was finding another hospital that would run the comparison tests.

The crematocrit machine being sold by Medela is around $1,000.00 and would
be an expensive investment if just used for this one case.  The fortifier
made by Prolacta is made for preterm and provides a inappropriate mineral
composition for term babies.  It is extremely expensive.  Please keep us
posted about how this goes.  Sincerely, Rachel Wahl RN IBCLC