From:
"Nice, Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 10:34:01 -0500
I know that 3 top concepts were asked for, but being a pharmacist
myself, I felt I could submit a few more.  Here goes:
1.  The most potentially knowledgeable pharmacist concerning
breastfeeding and medications is the pharmacist mother or father of a
breastfed child
2.  Most medications can be taken by a breastfeeding mother with proper
counseling
3.  The decision to breastfeed while taking a medication should be made
by the mother based upon objective information provided by the
pharmacist
4.  Be objective, yet compassionate, caring, and understanding
5.  Do not believe everything you might read in a journal article about
medications and breastfeeding.  Incoreect information is still being
given in many articles, even those written by pharmacists
6.  Know which information resources are available and use as many as
possible to counsel on a medication and breastfeeding situation.  Do NOT
rely on one resource even if it is Briggs, Hale, Newman, or Nice
7. Do not get discouraged as a new pharmacist.  Maturity and knowledge
and even expertise on breastfeeding and medications will come as you
develop your pharmacy practice in this area
BONUS:  Be exposed to Dr.Jack Newman

Frank J. Nice, DPA, CPHP