From:
Mary Herrington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2007 10:55:03 -0700
From Lactnet post:
  "Needless to say she changed her cleaning habits.and I use it as an example
to those moms who want to clean once or twice a day only because it just
takes so much time. "

  Why don't we give these moms tips to save time?

  Tip: completely dissassemble pump parts, wash with warm, soapy water once a day.  In between pumpings throughout the day leave pump parts in fridge.  Logic is, If EBM is ok in fridge for 4-8 days, then EBM on pump parts is fine for 12-24 hours or so. Its a GREAT time saving tip!!

  Many of you who have provided generous email advice and encouragement are already aware that I am pumping for my 4 1/2 month old son (born full term at home, no meds, skin to skin immediately from birth).  He was born with oral motor dysfunction.  From my research about 4% full term healthy babies may be born this way.

  Anyway- I got the great pumping tip above, from a Yahoo EPers group I joined.  These dedicated mother's (most with cleft palate, extremely premature babies, hypotonia issues) have been a wonderful source of inspiration and information.

  Also, I am so gratefull to those of you who have shared your wisdom with me along this journey.  Right now, my beautiful son latches and suckles in the evening, throughout the night and early morning.  We are skin to skin for a few hours every night.  Right now, he gets too disorganized/stressed during the day to suckle when he is hungry- but he gets offered the breast a plenty!!  I feed him EBM with Haberman skin to skin and feed him prone/sidelying on my chest as much as possible.

  Mary Herrington, RN, IBCLC
  Memorial Hermann Lactation Services
  The Woodlands, TX