From:
Carol Brussel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 20:30:56 EDT
amen, sister! to pat for an eloquent description of such a major problem. and
how do we tell a mother her HCP is wrong? (not just doctors, this problem for
me is worse when it is the "lactation nurse" or "lactation consultant at the
hospital.")

 i must say to ruth's post that i often DO tell a mother her doctor is wrong,
but i try to do so with the utmost delicacy, because it puts us in such a
sticky position, not the least of which is that we must then perform miracles
and never fail or we will look REALLY bad. the two major cases i have been
dealing with for the last week are both far worse than they should ever have
been because of poor or no advice and completely ridiculous lack of knowledge
on the part of the HCPs involved. not to mention an unconscionable attitude
displayed by one doctor treating a mother with PPD.

so how do the rest of you convey to a mother that the doctor is wrong? perhaps
discussing techniques will help us to deal with this even more tactfully.

carol b.