From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2009 23:12:25 -0400
Hello everyone,
It's been ages since I've been around.   Question:

1) LLL's published datasheet qualifies 'sufficient' weight gain in a 0-4 mo
as 4-7 ounces per week.....birth weight needs to be regained by 3 weeks.
http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html
http://www.llli.org/NB/NBNovDec94p184sup.html

2)WHO say 'average' and info from Riordan/Morbacher indicates 5.5-8.5 is
average and that birth weight needs to be regained by 2 weeks.

How concerned would you be with a mom who has had a breast reduction
(surgeon was aware breastfeeding was important to mom and did 'everything he
could to insure he wouldn't affect her ability to nurse').

Details:
~Normal pregnancy and birth.
~Mom is trying to exclusively nurse her baby.
~Few breast changes during pregnancy (slight increase in fullness).
~No engorgement; some occasional leaking.
~At a a breastfeeding support group run by the IBCLC at the local
hospital,  a test weigh before and after a feed indicated a 3 oz intake.
~Baby nurses well, sleeps well, is alert and active when awake and sleeps
about five hours at night
~Mom is a small person...5'4" or so....dad is maybe 5'7" and of a very trim
build. moms sisters are also quite thin....one of them is naturally very
thin (think Kiera Knightly)
~baby has had 1 oz supplemental formula 3 times

There was a significant weight loss (9%) by end of first week - all same
scale -no clothes, dry diaper:
birth: 7#8 oz  (3401g)
week 1 - 7 days: 6#14 (3118g)
week 2 - 14 days: 6#15 1 oz gained
week 3 - 17 days: 7#4 oz 5 oz gained in three days
            - 21 days: 7#8 oz 4 oz gained in three days
week 4 - 6 oz gained by in 7 days
week 5 - 4.5 oz gained in 7 days

Ped is a good good family friend and friend of mom's parents.  Very
concerned.  Called parents at home tonight to say that he thinks mom is
'sacrificing baby's health on the altar of breastfeeding'.  After hearing
all of the numbers and hearing in detail about the baby from mom, dad and a
very very breastfeeding supportive and astute grandma,  I felt reasonably
comfortable that everything was on track.   Mom and dad are both very well
educated, very reasonable and have amazing local family support.

Thoughts? This shouldn't be difficult right?   A mom who isn't producing
enough would NOT see a 9 oz weight gain in the course of a week.

Ped did say "if we were all living in the woods, and we didn't have a scale,
or enough knowledge to be concerned, we wouldn't be.  This baby looks great,
is healthy, happy, sleeping well and is appropriately alert" (exact words).
  He's concerned b/c there wasn't the requisite turn around in weight
starting on day 4, hadn't regained birthweight by 2 weeks, and only gained
4.5 oz this week.

Anyone here in Birmingham, AL?    I'd love for this mom to get some hands on
help with a great asymmetrical latch.

Thanks everyone,
Katherine in Atlanta