Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:57:48 -0700
I just wanted to comment on this.
Last week I went to 2 different LC to get some advice on my sore nipples. I have a  5 week old baby also, I am breastfeeding my own baby and pumping about 5-6 times a day getting about 22oz of milk for another woman's adopted baby. Whenever I used my PIS my nipples felt bruised. They would turn purple, then blanched white. I just told the LC that my nipples felt bruised and didn't know why. I brought my pump in to the LC to see if I was doing something wrong and to check my pump as the motor sounds odd and I need to get it replaced with Medela. She didn't have a gauge so had me use the Lactina to see if it felt different. It didn't, and when I took the flanges off and she saw the color change she about yelled. She was so excited to see my nipples turn white that she wanted a picture (but was out of batteries).

OK so what I have I been doing? Hot/warm rice pack pack on my breast WHILE pumping, I got the soft flanges (I also have larger nipples and tried the 27mm. It was ok, but still didn't solve the problem), and olive oil on the flange so that my breast tissue doesn't stick and I get a better seal. If I do ALL of these things then my pumping doesn't hurt nearly as much and I have been able to turn the suction up (it was always on the lowest setting). I get more milk (now up to 30 oz a day) and am happier though still a bit sore.

As far as the ISIS, I pulled that out of my drawer (haven't used it with this baby). It worked for 2 pumpings with no pain, but now I have even more pain with it, but once again I'm not using heat or oil with it as I only use it on the run.

I was considering using medication to see if it will help, but wasn't sure about how others have fared as there aren't many studies done about this.

That's my input on this.
 WA State, USA

Heather Shelley CCCE, CPD, CD
     www.birthingyourway.com