From:
"C. Ione Sims" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 1996 15:25:45 -0800
When my last child was born in 1985, I needed to return to school when he
was 7 weeks old.  The college officials tried to tell me that I couldn't
have my lap baby in class due to liability concerns! When I protested
(which I don't think they expected the vigorous response they got from
me), I was told to take it up with each individual instructor. I did so
and there was no problem except that the desks weren't particularly
conducive to either late pregnancy or breastfeeding babies. I learned to
sit in the back of the classroom and make an exit if Ezra started to
fuss, but this was rare. I worried about his presence being disruptive
because of possible fussiness, but he was usually content with nursing
and later on, became a distraction because of his enormous grin! He was
and is a very gregarious fellow, and learned to turn on the charm early.
As the quarter progressed, my classmates got comfortable with having him
there and offered to hold and entertain him.  When we went about on
campus, once he was old enough to be in a frame back pack, he always
attracted a good deal of attention, and other students seemed to love
having him around. When I finally stopped bringing him to class because
he had gotten so "grabby" that I couldn't concentrate, people asked about
him regularly, and I even brought him back for occasional "guest"
appearances on days that were not too demanding.

I also taught childbirth classes during the time my second and third
babies were nursing. I frequently nursed, and did things one-handed
during class. Many of my students reported how reassuring it was to see
someone casually function with a baby.

Ione Sims, CNM, IBCLC