From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:33:20 -0400
Darilynn said, "I am afraid too = liberal use of pumps suggests to moms
that their bodies are not capable = of providing milk for their babies
without some kind of intervention. "

I have to say that although pumping with an inadequate pump can cause
this iea in moms, where they doubt their abilities, I believe that this
doubt is seeded much earlier in girls of the US.  They have doubted
their abilities for a long time...a teen doubts her body shape, size,
etc, and does what she can to emulate "Seventeen."  A young college girl
is bulemic because she feels that she can't be as thin as her friends.
Young mothers feel that they can certainly not give birth because of all
the prevalent drugs in birth, the mindset that she needs them, and
breastfeeding, well, that certainly is beyond her reach.

Women in America are taught that they are never good enough at any time,
any place, to do what their bodies are programmed for. It is a sexually
imbued culture, and not respectful of women. That is a long answer to a
short question, but I do not think we can pin the blame on pumps alone.
There is so much going on to contribute to the degradation of what it is
to be a woman or mother in our society.

Kathleen