From:
Cynthia Good Mojab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 08:41:32 -0700
Tess Parriott wrote: <<Does anyone know where I might find some good
written breastfeeding information for our rapidly increasing Sudanese
population? I currently have none and it is difficult most of the time to
get and interpreter.>>

The Center for Breastfeeding Information (CBI) at La Leche League
International has an on-line database of citations (no abstracts or full
text) for breastfeeding articles that can be searched (for free) by author,
journal, keyword, or a word in any field, ... There are currently 14
articles related to "Sudan." Any good public or university library will
have a reference librarian that can help their patrons find such articles.
The CBI database can be accessed from
http://www.lalecheleague.org/cbi/CBI.html.

You might have already checked, but I wonder if there are any Sudanese
community organizations in your area that could help with translation (both
linguistically and culturally). Many community organizations provide such
help because they are keenly aware of the importance of translation in a
variety of situations. Without a translator, an LC has a very difficult (if
not impossible) time of finding out to what degree a particular mother
subscribes to the cultural trends the LC has read about in the literature,
what the mother's situation is and how it impacts her breastfeeding
experience and choices, etc. Background knowledge and a translator are both
important. Since your population of Sudanese mothers is growing, I also
wonder if there are any institutional changes at your medical center that
could be made so that a translator is more readily available.

Best wishes,

Cynthia

Cynthia Good Mojab, MS Clinical Psychology
(Breastfeeding mother, advocate, independent [cross-cultural] researcher
and author; LLL Leader and Research Associate in the LLLI Publications
Department; and former psychotherapist currently busy nurturing her own
little one.)
Ammawell
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web site: http://members.home.net/ammawell