From:
LuAnn Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 20:57:47 -0400
Hi Mandy,

Isn't amazing that something so, simple and low tech could be cause for
concern. This IMHO is our best offensive move that can be used in response
to a nurisng staff wanting to pump earlier and earlier, allowing these
sleepy babies no recovery time no matter what went on during the birth and
the never ending focus on "possibly becoming hypoglycemic". There probably
is no EBP on this topic, but it certainly is a very practical way to
proceed.

I'm sure the concern is regarding sleepy, mucousy babies that aren't really
showing readiness to feed, but hey most nurses certainly wouldn't think
twice about force feeding a bottle. Feeling cynical tonite!

LuAnn Smith RN, BS, IBCLC
York, PA

    In our hospital we have been giving small amounts of colostrum to babies
with a spoon especially if babies are too sleepy during the 1st 24 hours.
All of a sudden there has been some questions arise about using a spoon for
feedings.  Does anyone have a policy or know of any documentation about
giving colostum with a spoon.  I have checked the archives and mostly got
just anecdotal information.
   Mandy Wendell R.N., IBCLC
   Tacoma, WA