Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:19:41 -0500
 I participated in the study cohort for the development of this product. The researchers came to prenatal classes held in my facility (and others) and they observed instruction and interviewed parents.

I think it is a good product. Be sure to view it in its entirety. It is part of an effort to eliminate shaken baby syndrome.

http://www.dontshake.org/sbs.php?topNavID=4&subNavID=32

One of the most enlightening experiences I had when I started working as a hospital consultant was the intensity of stress many families experience in the immediate postpartum period. I am talking 0-48/72 hours following birth. The research showing the frequency of interruptions experienced in the hospital setting is insightful. These families are often so sleep deprived, and understandably stressed if their baby is feeding poorly, real or imagined.

I had been working in maternal child health for over a dozen years at the time. As a perinatal educator, lactation educator, and doula I felt relatively familiar with the immediate postpartum tasks and the maternal adaptation process.....NOT! What I needed to witness was the cumulative stress that many families experience. As a doula I wasn't present with the families in the hospital recuperative period for that length of time. Witnessing the experience these families navigate from immediately following birth to discharge has really been eye opening to me. It has inspired me to develop continuing education material for educators and doulas to share approaches to maximize breastfeeding initiation success that is navigated within the hospital setting. So different from what those who give birth at home may experience as many of us know.

I really feel like preparation for sitting the IBLCE exam would ideally include observation in a hospital setting of no less than 2-3 consecutive days on the L&D and mother baby unit minimum AND observation following home or free standing birthing center birth, AND a special care nursery, in addition of course to outpatient/private and community resources.

I share this because although I was convinced the Period of Purple Crying approach was a beneficial tool, I am now even more convinced it can be a beneficial resource, particularly for families with risk factors for this behavior but for everyone else as well.

Michelle H. Kinne BA IBCLC RLC ICCE CD(DONA)
www.CascadePerinatalServices.com