Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 15:14:15 EDT
I think we have to be honest and admit that human milk does have more toxins
than cows' milk.  That's because most humans are higher on the food chain
than cows.  Humans eat things like fish and meat, where environmental toxins
are stored in fat.  And then we store the toxins in our fat until our bodies
take advantage of lactation to dump some of their load.

However, I heard of a study that looked at the IQs of babies nursed by women
with significant toxic exposure.  Their outcomes were similar to formula-fed
babies.  In other words, the good things in human milk compensated for the
toxic exposure.  The babies would not have been any better off neurologically
if formula-fed, and since they were breastfed, they didn't miss out on all
those other good things, like immune protection, close bond with mother, jaw
exercise...etc.

Chris Mulford