From:
Linda Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 01:19:52 -0400
As to statistics on children dying co-sleeping, I have numerous studies
summarized on the links I've given. Boy I'm sure not trying to argue in that
direction but do think we need to watch and explain these studies. They're
used strongly against "us."

McKenna isn't doing statistical studies that I've seen. He does powerful
evaluations of the available studies joined with his "biological anthropology"
explanations that speak to the highest power of cosleeping. I have only the
highest regard for him and his evidence is powerful. I hope I did not sound any
different. No one has to convince me about cosleeping being beneficial and
positive. This statement of his puts the response to the negative statistics
simply and will make the statistics shine on the side of cosleeping: "The need
to distinguish between safe and unsafe beds and bedsharing is essential in
clarifying under what conditions forms of co-sleeping (including forms of
bedsharing) can be considered ‘hazardous.’ "   We can recall that "Crib Deaths"
were much higher before making cribs safer (and they still have their dangers).

I've already discussed the overlying issue and the suffocation vs SIDS issue.
Maybe your question was relating to no more SIDS with cosleeping when you
take out the suffocations. I don't like to speak of it that way as it's admitting
that the suffocation is a danger of cosleeping. I think we need to measure it
all together as we don't really know whether it was overlying suffocation or
not in many cases. The truth will become evident that true overlying is
extrememly rare when-- and babies are much safer when sleeping with non-
smoking, breastfeeding, sober, customary cosleepers in a safe bed. I'd like to
say it's easier than that, but the studies...

I'm so glad to hear from you, author of the review on Mothering, and I was
very eager to hear comments about that negative review on your article. It is
certainly agenda-driven. I'm so glad you acted so boldly to put numbers
together and try to show the truth that so many of the studies will never
allow to be portrayed from their data and the CDC will certainly never try to
amass. I hope your article receives good attention. So often the conclusion of
these SIDS studies is different than what is shown in the body and tables.
Deriving a percentage for those cosleeping at any given time, as you have
done, is a valuable part of the equation. While I was certain your numbers had
more strength than suggested in the odd review, I did fall into their trap a
little too far. I'm glad to be pulled back up out of the silliness.
linda
author "Baby Matters"