From:
Mary Renard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 1995 17:00:47 -0500
Penny Piercy, what a *fabulous* letter to P. Robin!  I can't wait to see her
reply.  You did a great job of articulating what I think a lot of us are
feeling.

I knew when I posted my "ABM vs. cigarettes" that there'd be some interesting
discussion and it has been.  First I want to assure everybody that *I* don't
find it a bad analogy at all!!!  But I like Arly's comment that likening one
thing to another is like a tricky dance....  my point is what she notes, that
if the analogy is a little *too* outrageous in the ears of the beholder then
you have lost your audience.  It's this that bothers me about the smoking
analogy, because I think it may inadvertently play into the hands of those
who would regard us as "fanatics" - Peggy Robin and her legions of suffering
bottlefeeding mothers who are accosted by perfect strangers in the grocery
store to heap guilt upon them.  (heavy sarcasm, sorry) (Penny, I have never
done nor heard of such a thing being done either!!)   I fear that their ears
are shut by an analogy that leads them to think:  "Now they're saying that I
might as well give my baby cigarettes!!!!"   I like the insulin, heroin and
walking aids suggestions.............  One more BTW:  I couldn't agree more
with the various observations about how the ABM and cigarette manufacturers
employ the same sorts of strategies, for sure!  Here again, with an audience
that just sees formula as "normal" (bleah!), though, it'll be hard to make a
case in the short time you have by comparing their advertising methods, IMHO.