From:
61bouill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 22:37:18 -0500
My name is Ellen.  I recently sat for the IBCLC exam and currently work
fulltime evenings as a Lactation Educator.  I have been lurking for a
while on Lactnet but have had a situation arise that causes me to post
to the list.
We have a mother who delivered a few weeks ago that we are currently
following on the phone, not so much for  breastfeeding  help but for
moral  support.  She has 3 children, a 3 year old , a 19 month old and a
newborn.  Her husband is in the service and was home from Macedonia for
the birth but had to go back.  To complicate matters, she has to move to
Fort Campbell Kentuckey where she has no support and doesn't know very
many people.  I am trying to find some sort of support group for her as
well as an IBCLC that she can contact with problems or concerns.  You
can e-mail me privately if anyone knows of  any groups or such.
I also have some questions for those hospital based LCs who also run
outpatient clinics.
1 How did you get the hospital to allow you to start up a clinic?  We
are currently running a weekly support group but sometimes moms need
help during the days between the group meetings.
2  Do you charge for these visits and if so is it by the visit or by the
hour?
This information can also be e-mailed to me privately.

I work in a large not for profit hospital and have only been in my
position for a year.  Prior to that I worked as a OB nurse for 10 years
with the last few working both labor and delivery as well as postpartum.
I also breastfed all seven of my children.  My dayshift counterpart and
I see all breastfeeding moms and babes on our unit as well as being
asked to see moms in the nicu,er and other areas of the hospital.  We
are assisted by 1 prn  IBCLC and 1 LC who cover our days off and make
followup phone calls.  Our hospital does approximately 300 deliveries a
month.  We are trying to get a better program going to help our moms.
Thank you
Ellen Bouillon
anxiouxly awaiting  exam results.