Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:41:37 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
My name Judy Sather and I am a nursing student from the University of North Dakota.  As I was researching working mothers who are still breastfeeding, Witters-Green (2003) wrote, despite the well-documented benefits of breastfeeding, 30% of infants in the United States at the age of six months are being breastfed, and less than 18% of the one year olds are still being breastfed. Wyatt (2002) stated that, the mother should approach her supervisor with plans of breastfeeding, and if the employer is not supportive of the breastfeeding mother, then breastfeeding will more than like be unsuccessful. Corbett-Dick & Bezek(1997) state, the most significant problem encountered by breastfeeding mothers is lack of an adequate facility in which to pump. According to Thompson & Bell (1997), many women do not have their own offices, and breakrooms are more than likely public, so this forces women to use public rest rooms and this is found to be an unacceptable solution because of bacterial contamin
ation.  According to Biagioli(2003), if a mother intends to return to the work force, the family must begin making plans, such as getting education about community support, breast milk pumps, and breast milk storage.  

I'm wondering what type of programs or advocates there are for the working moms who want to pump?

Thank you, 
Judy Sather, Student Nurse
University of North Dakota

Biagioli, F. (2003). Returning to Work While Breastfeeding. American Family Physician, 68(11): 2201-2208.

Corbett-Dick, P, & Bezek, S. (1997).  Breastfeeding promotion for the employed mother.  Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 11(1), 12-19.

Thompson, p., & Bell, P. (1997).  Breastfeeding in the workplace:  How to succeed.  Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing, 20(1), 1-9.

Witters-Green, R. (2003). Increasing Breastfeeding Rates in Working Mothers.  Families, Systems, & Health, 21(4): 415-429.

Wyatt, S.N. (2002).  Challenges of the working breastfeeding mother: Workplace solutions. AAOHN Journal, 50(2): 61-66.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2