From:
Duncan Broadfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 1996 14:33:21 EST
Re Margery's post of 20th Feb.   Yes there is an annual event in UK which looks
for 'family friendly' facilities in a number of categories, - eg supermarkets,
eating out places.  I can't remember who is sponsoring it this year, but I know
that in the past a formula manufacturer has been a sponsor.  So I have tended to
avoid it.  However I think it has had some effect.

For a number of years there was a collaboration between Royal College of
Midwives, Health Visitors Association and National Childbirth Trust (sorry -
can't remember if LLL were involved or not) to promote baby feeding and nappy
changing rooms.  We produced a logo of mother and baby and set standards.
Awarding the symbol was always good for publicity.  Mothercare have I think a
facility in every shop.  In practice the rooms are used largely for changing,
and some are distinctly unsavoury, following the changing of many, many nappies
of babies fed on the other stuff.  Certainly there are now many of these rooms,
in supermarkets, 'baby' shops, railway stations, airports....  If they have not
got our symbol, the alternative seems to be a bottle.

Within the last couple of years National Childbirth Trust has decided to move
away from the idea of separate rooms and symbols.  I for one was distinctly
uncomfortable with the implication that breastfeeding needed a separate room,
while recognising that in the present culture it is necessary for some women.
Some local government counsils have adopted genuinely breastfeeding friendly
policies, and indeed one supermarket has followed suit - if anyone objects to a
mother breastfeeding in their cafe the objector will be offered another table.
BUT we still have a long way to go.

In my local area we produced a poster 'Breastfeeding Mothers Welcome Here' with
a line drawing of a mother and baby breastfeeding, and it has been distributed
to all health care facilities in our area of Scotland.  I believe that mothers
need to know that they are welcome to breastfeed eg in doctors waiting room, and
hope  that seeing the poster will give them confidence.

Anyway, down off the soapbox I come- this is definitely something I feel
strongly about!  I know there are others from the UK - Jane, Veronika, anything
to add?

Mary Broadfoot, Paisley, Scotland