From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 08:56:56 GMT
>as far as I
know, the UNAIDS recommendations are not going to be changed any time soon.
The intriguing question is - Why Not?

Pamela Morrison IBCLC, Zimbabwe (where we really *need* more answers)<

Pamela -- I agree that the wuestion is intriguing...and scary, once you let your
mind free rein on the possible answers.....

We really need more answers here too.  Not a high number of cases like you are
experiencing, but I fear that the anti breastfeeding message coming with the
recommendations for HIV+ women in the industrialised west will

-- have a huge spillover effect on other women and the choices they make

-- affect the worldwide feeling 'if its not good inthe west, why are we asked to
do it?'  Having seen the influence the west had on other sections of the world
in terms of normalising the use of modified animal milk formulations for babies,
the potential here is pretty bleak.

Magda Sachs
Breastfeeding Supporter, BfN, UK