From:
Toby Gish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 19:34:56 +0300
Scream - I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Phone call from Mom who
had a baby who gained just enough on breastmilk for the last four
months. Healthy, alert, developing well. Started solids at 4 months
because of "slow" weight gain. (never under 100grams a week - I know
mothers who would kill for such a weight gain) After a week and a half
of solids baby has a horrific rash which puts her in the hospital. Yup -
You all guessed it - The attending Doctor said that they will probably
have to stop the breastfeeding.(That suspicious fluid) Scream!!!!!!!! I
must say that according to the mom the young doctors looked
askance....One does not have to be a breastfeeding aficiando to think
logically. She mentioned that she didn't see one breastfed baby in
hospital...She felt better when I reminded her that most breastfed
babies are not hospitalized for infectious diseases. Thanks for letting
me unload. This mom will be exploring with the Dr. his rational for
stopping breastfeeding.
                Toby

--
Toby Gish RN IBCLC