From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 23:03:52 -0500
There are a lot of confounding variables in this case presentation, all of
which can be contributing to the abnormal stooling patterns and stool
content. The surgery itself surely messes with the gut, then all the
antibiotics which surely were given for gi surgery had a big effect. C.
difficile to my understanding happens as a result of changes in gut balance
due to antibiotic therapy. (p.s. I had it horribly once and needed an
ambulance as I was rapidly dehydrating and acidotic and I really thought I
was going to die.) So this happened and then more antibiotics were given
(flagyl and vanco I think). So lots of "insults" to the gut. Transient
lactose intolerance is common after gi disturbances so I would be sure the
baby is feeding by finishing first breast first and maybe even kind of
treating like "foremilk/hindmilk" imbalance (not sure this really exists) or
oversupply. Maybe the mom sort of has an oversupply if she has been pumping
and now the mother and baby don't really "match". Also I am not sure what
other conditions are associated with volvulus/malrotation, if any, as I
don't have a text here at home (such as cystic fibrosis can be assoc. with
meconium plug). If so, is baby being screened for this? Not sure mom needs
to be on an elimination diet but she could try eating know low allergenic
foods and go from there (rice, turkey etc).

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA