From:
Carolyn Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 1998 06:01:52 -0500
-- [ From: Carolyn Brown * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

In _The Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning_,  I believe Kathleen Huggins
states that a child will not wean *of his own accord* (self-wean) in this
window of 1 year old to 3 or 4.  She believes any child who does wean in
that window has had at least some push to wean from mom.

Those of us familiar with toddler nursing know that many children wean in
this time frame, and that if it does indeed require action from mother,
often only very subtle (not always even conscious) action from mother is
required.

It sounds like this mother panicked and read "won't self-wean" as "won't
wean".  Some 14-month olds are pretty demanding and she may feel nursing
causes this and her life won't be under control until she weans.  She  may
be reassured by a a discussion of how to set limits on the nursing
relationship to make it liveable for everybody.

Hope this helps,

Carolyn Brown, mother of three and La Leche League Leader in Cedar Falls,
Iowa (I co-lead the group that Susan Wirtjes "what you permit, you promote"
established 25 years ago.  I very much enjoy working with her on our Black
Hawk County Breastfeeding Coalition.  She's even better in person than
online.)