Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 2010 21:59:47 -0700
My brother-in-law is a Naturopathic Doctor here in Northern California
and I was curious what he'd have to say about this post. Here
is his response (you've got to love the man!):

Hi Brooke,

I have never heard of any of my colleagues suggest to a woman
to stop breastfeeding.  I find that most Naturopathic Doctors
are in steadfast support of breastfeeding.

It has been reported that milk cortisol levels are approximately
70-80% of blood cortisol levels and there is research to suggest
that maternal cortisol levels do, in fact, affect childhood temperament.
 (see below)  However, the data was gathered using infant "fear
behavior" as a measurement.  "Fear behavior" is not very quantifiable
and may be a very subjective value.

With the many benefits of breastfeeding obvious to us all, perhaps
lowering this poor woman's stress level may be a better way to
go.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17336002

Brooke Casey, CPM, IBCLC
Midwife and Lactation Consultant