From:
Diana Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 01:18:22 -0400
I am working with a first time mom who has spastic torticollis of unknown
etiology. It first manifested 10 years ago when she was 22 and has been
slowly progressing in severity since that time. It is exacerbated by stress.
She is in severe pain from constant neck spasm and both of her arms have
uncontrollable shaking and spastic movements.
She has been given various medications over the years including a Botox
injection. The Botox worked well for her. However when used for this
condition, the Botox dosage has to be increased with each injection-at least
that is what she has been told.  The effects last 3-6 months. I suggested
that she look into physical therapy and accupuncture as other possible
options. She had no relief of pain or sx from a chiroprator.
Back to the Botox: the only info that I have found so far is in Hale, which
related the incident of a woman who had a full blown case of botulism but
continued breastfeeding. No botulism spores or toxins were found in her milk
and there were no adverse effects on the baby.
It seems then, that the Botox would not pose any hazards for the baby. I
would appreciate any input that any of you have. Meanwhile we are working on
good positioning, lots of support, getting a sling, etc.
Thanks, Diana